Frequently Asked Questions
- What is NFC?
- What phones can be used with iSpaniel?
- Apart from casks/kegs can tags be used on other brewery assets?
- Are NFC tags robust?
- Mobile reception is awful where in my area. Can I still use this app?
- How long is the contract?
- Can the App inform me of lost casks/kegs?
- What happens if tag is removed/lost from container?
- My drivers are not technical. Is it easy to use?
- Do you have any tips to prevent loss of the phone?
- If the phone is lost, is my data safe?
- What is NFC? It is a contactless proximity scanning technology, exactly the same technology used in contactless payments. It is ideal as a tracking application as the tags are robust and the scan occurs by touching the tag or hovering the phone 2cm above the tag, making it more reliable than barcodes.
- What phones can be used with iSpaniel? All Android phones with NFC enabled functions are suitable, for example; Samsung, HTC, LG, Sony, Motorola, Alcatel etc.
- Apart from casks/kegs can tags be used on other brewery assets? Wherever a tag can attached then the system can function, for example on outer bottle cases, hand pumps, locator boards or even grain bins and chemical containers. The tag is programmable and can have specific codes for different types of asset.
- Are NFC tags robust? Tags are in a weatherproof casing and attached to the container with an adhesive that has been specially formulated for this purpose.
- Mobile reception is awful where in my area. Can I still use this app? The phone will upload the data when it encounters an improved area of reception. If this is unavailable then the data will be uploaded via Wi-Fi when returning to the brewery.
- How long is the contract? Renewable annual licence, paid monthly.
- Can the App inform me of lost casks/kegs? There is a dashboard on the portal which will show you how many casks have been out for 4 weeks or longer. Additionally, you can use the portal to filter casks which have been in a delivered state for an extended period of time to identify lost casks.
- What happens if tag is removed/lost from container? Simply glue another on cask/keg, programme on phone and lock the details. All information is integrated immediately as scanned details always refer to the original cask number.
- My drivers are not technical. Is it easy to use? It is very easy to use. New users tend to be receptive to this App, they prefer using a phone and find the scanning experience a lot simpler and more reliable than alternative systems such as barcodes. When they return to the brewery this part of their job is complete and all data is uploaded via Wi-Fi. All they have to do is put the phone on the charger overnight.
- Do you have any tips to prevent loss of the phone? We have installed carriers and chargers in all vehicles, with the phone positioned to act as a Sat Nav, the driver can see visually that the phone has not been left at the pub, on the back of the vehicle or in the brewery.
- If the phone is lost, is my data safe? The iSpaniel app requires an access PIN to be able to login, and without this there is no way of accessing the app. In addition to this it is recommended that the security features of the phone be used to lock the device from unauthorised access.